Students are expected to use and respect the proper etiquette of the martial arts gym. Manners and discipline are a large part of the martial arts training. Please take them seriously.
Bow – Bowing is a form of respect given to a black belt or student of higher rank. The return bow is a sign of that person’s recognition of your willingness to learn.
Country – Students will bow to the flag before entering the workout area and when leaving the workout area.
Black Belts – Students will bow prior to addressing a senior student or black belt. When the information or question has been given the student should again bow and thank that person in a respectful manner.
- Remove shoes before stepping out onto the gym floor.
- Do not bring food, drink, or gum onto the workout area.
- Swearing or the use of profanity is not allowed in the gym.
- Always address the higher ranks and instructors as “Sir, Ms., or Mrs.”
- Help keep the gym clean. This includes parking lot and bathrooms.
- Talking or disruptive behavior is not allowed in the gym area.
- Always show the proper respect for the instructors and senior students.
- If you are late for class, please ask the instructor’s permission to enter the class.
- NO unauthorized sparring is permitted. You must have the instructor’s permission and supervision. All students have the right to decline to participate in sparring sessions.
- All equipment must be purchased at the school. (Please view “NWMA POLICIES” page for further info.)
- You must have permission from the Head Instructor to perform any demonstration outside the gym.
- Never leave the workout area without permission.
- Always set a good example for the lower ranks. Give 100% effort – 100% of the time!
- Student conduct outside of the gym reflects upon the gym and the instructor.